The Change Management Umbrella
A Systems Approach to Change Management
Its Relationship to Operational Excellence in Healthcare (and other Service Organizations)
October 6th 2017 – Conference on Operational Excellence at the University of Tennessee
Sponsored by the Industrial and Systems Engineering Program
Craig A. Stevens, PMP, LSS-MBB, Scrum (PO/M/D/F)C, SCT, SAMC,
President of Westbrook Stevens, Senior PM in the PMO at Ardent Healthcare, U.S.A.F Auxiliary CAP Captain, Artist, Author
Craig will talk about The Change Management (CM) Umbrella and how it represents a systems approach to change management. Craig designed the CM Umbrella to show the many folds of a Change Management Organization (CMO) designed to drive operational excellence in Healthcare (and other Service Organizations). Under the CM Umbrella one would find the many core competencies and tools used to manage the three phases of change (Before, During, and After the change):
- Strategic Planning for mastering organizational direction.
- 1st Order and 2nd Order Change Management for mastering both major step changes and continuous improvement required for organizational excellence.
- The Configuration Management Organization for the control of changes to critical systems.
- The Portfolio/Program/Project Management Organization (PMO) for the selection and management of projects to implement change.
- Change efficiency and optimization using the many disciplines and tools designed to make the appropriate changes happen (Lean, Six Sigma, Systems Thinking, Organizational Development, Drivers of Change, 7 Attributes of Excellence, etc.)
- CMO and PMO infrastructure (Policies, Standards, Systems, Processes, Resources, and Training)